Skip to main content

First Circle, A. Vision: Time As a Condition Sine Quanon

Time As a Condition Sine Quanon

In the wintertime I usually go for a walk in the forest. I like to see nature sleep. There are no cars, ads or neon signs, just the sound of the leaves and pebble gravel under my feet and the silent view of the oak trees. Walking along the hiking path I see hundreds of acorns lying half-covered by leaves on both sides of the trail. "This is unusual fot this time of the year," I thought. I picked one of them up from the ground and observed it carefully. At first glance I wasn't aware of it,  but it seemed to be germinating. As I was holding this seed in my hand I tried to imagine how one day it would become a giant oak tree like the others around me. "How long does it take for a oak tree to grow? Twenty, maybe thirty years?" I asked myself looking down at the acorn. The process of growing from seed to tree requires a very long time, in some cases an entire human lifespan. This growth seems invisible if you merely stand in front of the tree for a couple of hours or days, but actually it's occurring at that precise moment. We humans sometimes attempt to make it grow faster by interfering in the natural process, but the best way to help is to do nothing but wait. With this in mind I decided to put the acorn back on the soil and leave it, as I found it, half-covered by the fallen leaves. 

An investment like the seed will require a lot of time. Sometimes eight to ten years. The growth of a company, its expansion and consolidation is a process that requires years.  Any intervention and manipulation of the initial investment in a short period of time will only produce bad or average results. If we have found a company that is worthwhile and we are quite sure that we have bought the shares at a good price, we should let time do its work and not interfere. Be patient and wait although we know that this job might be the hardest one to do.